Wednesday, December 2, 2009

BP7_2009122_Tool#2wordsift


The second Web 2.0 tool I decided to explore was http://www.wordsift.com. I enjoyed the tool thoroughly and can definitely use it in the classroom. During seatwork, the students have to visit centers and I would incorporate this as a website for them to use with their vocabulary intervention.

When you type in a word or words to the box and click on sift, the door is opened to the esl student. There are videos, pictures and the visual thesaurus is now on the screen with an abundance of examples on the sift.

As my lesson in the room, this site would help the students create flashcards and answer any questions they needed with more visual support. Any teacher could use this awesome Web2.0 tool in their room for every subject.

Img src=http://www.wordsift.com/visualize

2 comments:

  1. Joy, I looked at this also in my search for web 2.0 tools for my posts. What made me bypass it was the text - and lack of pictures and images. You seemed to have found the way to show videos and pictures for the searched word. Please let me know how you reached it, because I will definitely look up the site again. For first graders, a lot of the work we do with tier 2 and 3 vocabulary words is just done verbally. We discuss synonyms and antonyms, and this site would assist with those relationships. Having more pictures would make this appropriate for my classroom. Thank you for diving into the site further. I look forward to hearing how it works in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I have been "screening" the words to make sure that they are safe and if not I give them a new website to alternate with the words. This way I know that they are also receiving the information in two different ways.

    ReplyDelete